Canada's Boating Educator

Boat Registration Process in Ontario

February 2, 2012 · 9 Comments


Licensing your Boat

Unlike the boat license that you keep in your wallet, a Pleasure Craft License is the set of ID numbers displayed on your boat which can be used by Search and Rescue personnel to identify your vessel. A Pleasure Craft License is different than a Vessel Registration, which provides proof of ownership (legal title), a unique name and official number for your boat and the right to use your boat as security for a marine mortgage.

The Small Vessel Regulations require that all pleasure craft of all sizes equipped with one or more primary propulsion motors of 10 hp (7.5 KW) or more must be licensed, unless they are registered. The regulation applies to all boats mostly operated or kept in Canada. You can obtain a 10 year license for free from Service Canada. You must renew the license after the 10 year period has expired. If your boat is already licensed, you should make sure that it is in your name and that your contact information is up-to-date.

Transferring Ownership of your Boat

It is mandatory to report a change of name and address to the Service Canada Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre. If selling a pleasure craft, you must transfer ownership by signing the reverse side of your vessel license and providing it to the purchaser. The purchaser is obligated to complete and sign the reverse side of the vessel license and submit it to Service Canada for transfer within 90 days. An owner may operate the pleasure craft for 90 days after the date of change of name or address, if documents establishing the date of change of name or address are on board. Owner information must be kept up-to-date, including name and address changes.

Registering your Boat in Ontario

There are costs involved in registering your vessel, but if you plan to operate your boat in international waters registering you vessel provides the benefit of proof of ownership, in addition to the benefits noted above. In order to register your boat you will be required to select at least 3 names for your vessel (of which one will be approved), pay a registration fee, complete an application for registry, produce evidence of ownership/title and statement of qualification for vessel registration, as well as have your vessel measured for tonnage.

For more information about Pleasure Craft Licensing and registration visit or call 1-800-267-6687.

As a Canadian pleasure craft operator, you are expected to know the rules and regulations that govern Canada’s waterways. You are responsible for equipping yourself with the right equipment and for operating your boat in a safe and courteous manner. You are also responsible for ensuring the safety of your passengers and other boaters.

Learn more about being a safe and responsible boater by obtaining your Pleasure Craft Operator Card and completing the Canadian Safe Boating Guide.

Tags: Boat Registration · Boating · Buying a Boat

9 responses so far ↓

  • 1 terry holland // Jun 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM

  • 2 KARIN // Jul 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

    Check out Transport Canada's website at:

    I found a lot of information and necessary forms applicable to boats.
  • 3 Anne Koch // Jul 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM

    If a pleasure boat is documented by the US Coast Guard, does it need to be registered in Ontario in order to store it in Ontario?
  • 4 Leslie // Jul 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM

    If someone is moving back to Canada after a number of years living in another country do they have to pay duty on their boat, purchased while living in that country?
  • 5 jake // Jul 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

    how do i get an ownership for my hand made boat with over 10 hp
  • 6 Jonny // Aug 20, 2012 at 2:44 PM

    My father recently passed away and the estate is finally settled. I have the boat he owned but cannot find any registration for it.

    What do I do to get the boat registration into my name and what would the costs asscociated with it be?


  • 7 weiyi // Aug 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM

    i want to make a inflatable 12 feet boat use a used boat with over 10 hp, how can i register?
  • 8 Brent // Oct 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

    My father passed away and his boat was left to me. With that said, there was not a ownership or registration paper for the boat. How do I go about getting the boat in my name and what would the cost be.
  • 9 BOATsmart!<sup>®</sup> Canada // Oct 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM

    Thanks Brent - Service Canada services requests for change of ownership to Pleasure Craft Licenses. You will be asked to provide a bill of sale or documentation indicating that your father intended to transfer ownership to your name. Pleasure craft licenses are free and are valid for 10 years. You have up to 90 days from the date of purchase to transfer a pleasure craft license. Contact Service Canada at 1-800-267-6687 or visit for more info.

Leave a Comment

Leave this field empty:


Contact the Boating Safety Info Line:
Toll Free: 1-877-792-3926

MON to FRI 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST
SAT & SUN 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST

BOATsmart! Canada educates and certifies boaters for their Pleasure Craft Operator Card. Our mission is to promote a safe, enjoyable and environmentally friendly use of Canada's waterways. Accredited by Transport Canada.

Follow BOATsmart on FacebookFollow BOATsmart on +1Follow BOATsmart on TwitterFollow BOATsmart on YouTube
Home | Get Your Boat License Online | Study Guide | Exam Locations | Lost Cards | FAQ's | Contact | About Us | Media | Careers | Affiliate Login
Sitemap | Legal | Privacy Policy | Refund Policy

©2015 BOATsmart!™ Canada. All Rights Reserved.
Canadian Safe Boating Council
Conseil Canadien de la sécurité nautique