With Father’s Day fast approaching on June 18th, many of you may be trying to figure out the perfect gift for dad that shows him just how you feel. We’d like to bet that taking him out for a family boat trip to do one of these 6 activities would mean more to him than any present.
1. Fishing: A classic family boating activity that is just as rewarding as it is enjoyable. Dad will love teaching you how to properly bait your line and seeing your eyes light up when you reel in the big one! What’s better is that you can take back all the fresh fish you’ve caught and make a family meal back on the shore. Exciting and delicious!
2. Water-Skiing: Whether you’re and expert waterskiier or a complete beginner, this is a great activity for families. Dad will love watching you get up on the skis for the first time and teaching you small tips and tricks; and if you’re not a beginner you could even teach your dad a few tricks of the trade. This activity also gives the resident family daredevil a chance to show off their crazy skills.
3. Tubing: If you or your siblings are too young to waterski, or if you just love bumpy rides and killer airtime, this activity is perfect for you. Tubing lets your dad take the whole family out for a spin, and because the tube floats on the water younger kids can be taken for a slow and gentle ride while dad and the older crowd are still able to rip around. Plus, nothing’s more fun than laughing at your friends and family wipe out and go flying off the tube.
4. Wakeboarding: If you and your family already know how to water-ski and want to try something new, give wakeboarding a chance. Give dad the perfect excuse to get on the water and test out new stunts – while wearing a life-jacket of course! Wakeboarding is one of the most popular water sports for youth on the water, making this the perfect excuse to grab a board and get on the water!
5. Swimming: If your family prefer relaxation over water-sports, swimming is a great way to spend time with dad on Father’s day! Drop anchor and hop in the water for some fun in the lake; bringing extra water toys and activities can make this an even better outing. Bring goggles, water balls, inflatable water floats and more to entertain you, dad, your siblings, and the rest of the family for hours!
6. Picnic and Stargazing: Another perfect day trip option for families looking for relaxation time on the water. Pack up your fave snacks and drinks, and get out on the water to watch the stars. One of the reasons stargazing is great while boating is because the stars will be more visible thanks to less glare from city lights. Bonus points if you went fishing with dad earlier and brought your freshly caught dinner as your picnic.
New York is a city surrounded by various bodies of water making it a perfect city to spend the day out on the water. Made up by five boroughs, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Island, this lively city sits right where the Hudson River meets the Atlantic Ocean making boating an epic and visually stunning experience. Boat your way into a New York state of mind when you step off the dock and onto the water for a day of sun and adventure as you cruise around the Big Apple.
The inlets and islands of Freeport are perfect for a day of fishing and boating while you take in the beautiful coastline. Freeport is situated in Nassau County on the South Shore of Long Island. Zach’s Bay is southeast of Freeport off the Jones Beach Theatre and is a great place to anchor for families to raft-up and enjoy a concert playing at the theatre or enjoy a day on the beach without the overcrowded feeling.
The Hudson River
The Hudson River offers beautiful scenery along the 300 miles that it stretches. Boaters can escape to the north toward Peekskill where the river offers copious amounts of wildlife. There is abundant largemouth and smallmouth bass around the tributary mouths and in-river structures during the summer and fall. In the spring striped bass can be caught below the Troy Dam to New York City. There are small towns along the river that you can visit, learn the history, stretch your legs and enjoy dinner along the water’s edge. Check out one of the only Dock & Dine spots in New York city at La Marina in Washington Heights for a really fun experience!
This is a region of New York State, known for its lush vineyards and named for its series of eleven long, thin lakes extended like fingers. This is one of New York State’s most popular regions for recreational boating with numerous private boat launches to enjoy a scenic route. Take a day trip and explore the Finger Lakes Central Region (the centrally located area found between the two largest lakes; Seneca Lake to the West and Cayuga Lake to the East). These lakes were formed by glaciers and contain over 6.6 trillion gallons of fresh water making it an ideal destination to enjoy a day on the water.
If you love fishing, this is the place for you as it has ample fish and fishing holes. With more than 100 boat launches available in the region, this is an easy accessible waterway with much to offer. With it’s crystal clear waters, historic castles and lighthouses, it is arguably one of the best places for pleasure boating in New York State.
New York Harbor
Boating by the Manhattan skyline is an experience everyone should have at least once in their lives. There are many attractions such as Governors Island which is a 172-acre island containing Fort Jay, Castle Williams, and Dock 102. Don’t forget to stop by Liberty Island, home to the Statue of Liberty as well as Ellis Island which is a historical site that opened in 1892 as an immigration station for more than 60 years.
This was called “the most beautiful water I ever saw” by Thomas Jefferson and this statement still holds true today. It was once an important fur-trading route and held an important role in the American Revolution with traces of the past laying at the bottom of the lake in the form of shipwrecks. Although a lake that once held a violent past, today, the coastal shores are full of beautiful wilderness, marinas, restaurants and the Adironack Mountains which add to the astounding atmosphere.
Cold Spring Harbor
This is the perfect place to drop an anchor, enjoy a picnic on the boat and go swimming for the day or head out for a day of water skiing and wake-boarding. This is truly some of Long Islands best boating with a coastline full of beaches, parks and historic mansions. For larger vessels who want to anchor for the day, Eaton’s Neck Basin is the perfect place and it’s only a few miles east near Huntington Bay.
Whether you’re going for an all-day boating adventure to take in the picturesque scenery along the coast, throwing down an anchor to take a dip in the water or stopping along the water’s edge to indulge in a scenic meal, New York offers a vast array of options for any type of excursion. The waterways of New York will never disappoint an enthusiastic boater as there is truly something for everyone. Sail through these waters in New York and make memories you will never forget.
With Father’s Day nearly here, it’s tough to choose that perfect gift for dad to show him how much he really means to you. After all, he’s been your number one supporter from the beginning, giving you advice and always sharing his not-so-funny dad jokes when you need to smile. Dads look forward to the day that they can pass on their traditions to their kids and share common interests for the ultimate goal of spending quality time together. Maybe he took you to his favourite fishing spot and showed you how to put a worm on a hook and helped you reel in that whopper you’d been excitedly talking about all day. This Father’s Day, we have some awesome gifts for you to choose from to save time and to show dad how great you think he is!
Dad’s already our captain, why not get him a boating license and make it official on the water! Get it now and he’ll receive two extra cards to keep in his tackle box, car or wallet. Boating allows you to feel free and relaxed out on the water and the BOATsmart! course will help dad boat with confidence this Father’s Day.
Swim into dad’s good books this Father’s Day with an engraved compass. This thoughtful, personalized gift is made out of brass metal and measures about 2.5” in diameter. Each compass is hand crafted in a vintage style with minor dents and scratches to add to the charm and character. There are 50-60 characters that can fit per side to personalize your message. This makes a unique yet practical nautical gift for dad that will surely become a keepsake.
What do you get the dad who already has everything? Anchor cuff links, of course! These handsome accessories are a perfect way to make a detailed fashion statement for any occasion. Let dad show his boat enthusiasm with these nautical accessories in a sophisticated way this Father’s Day!
This handcrafted driftwood dock for iPhones or iPods is the perfect gift, tying the modern-day electronics to the timeless minimalism of nature. This is a practical gift that looks like art, handmade in Maine by Lee Goodwin and his team who gather and then handcraft them to fit the contours and cord of your device.
This cookbook is perfect for the dad who loves to cook seafood! It offers more than 150 mouth-watering recipes including entrees, salads, appetizers, soups, sides and more. Every single recipe features seafood that hasn’t been overfished or caught in an environmentally destructive way, making Barton Seaver (the author) one of the most important voices of the sustainability movement. You will learn how to buy and choose the freshest ingredients as well as how to prep and cook seafood. Let dad discover how to make Poached Salmon with Pickled Chilies and Mint or Smoked Lobster and Fennel-Carrot Salad and he’ll become captain of the kitchen in no time.
This striped sweater has a classic look to it that will never go out of style. For those summer days out on the boat that turn to a chilly dusk, dad can throw on this cotton-cashmere sweater and continue on his boating route with his crew in tow.
Dad could always use a new pair of boat shoes so why not treat him to these authentic originals! These have been a long-time favorite to many-a-boater, sailor and yachter for good reason, too! These fine shoes are crafted with genuine all leather upper which allows for years of wear, non-marking rubber outsoles with wet traction as well as genuine hand-sewn Tru-Moc construction for durable comfort. Dad’s feet will be thanking you for this awesome gift!
A fishing or boating subscription is a perfect gift to help dad stay in the know and keep up-to-date on the newest industry news. Help him stay informed with subscriptions to magazines such as Boating Magazine, Boating World or Real Fishing Magazine or set him up with Lucky Tackle Box which sends a box of the newest fishing gear each month.
Dads can often be difficult to buy for as they are the ones that we will always look up to as our teachers, comedians, confidants and protectors. We have so much to thank dads for that it’s hard to show just how much we appreciate their life lessons (mostly at the wrong time but still, it’s the thought that counts) or their silly dad jokes that are not funny at all but that somehow makes them hilarious. But what dads appreciate the most is quality time spent with you! Hopefully these top Father’s Day gift ideas will help you create more time for dad this year while showing him how much he means to you with these thoughtful gifts.