What to do if you’re Involved in a Boat Accident
The operator of a boat involved in a boating accident is required to:
- Stop their boat at the scene.
- Render assistance to any person who has been injured or who is in danger so long as they can do so without risking their safety or their passenger’s safety.
- Provide their name, address and boat information in writing, to any person who was injured, and to the owner of any property that was damaged as a result of the accident.
Boat Accident Reporting
An accident must be reported to the Iowa DNR within 48 hours if:
- A person is killed.
- A person is injured and requires treatment beyond first aid.
- A person disappears from the boat.
An accident must be reported to the Iowa DNR within 5 days if:
- Property damage totals more than $2,000 or there is total loss of the boat.