An operator involved in a boat accident is required to:
- Stop their boat the scene.
- Render assistance to any person who has been injured or who is in danger so long as they can do so without risking their safety or the safety of their passengers.
- Provide their name, address and boat information in writing to any person who was injured and to the owner of any property that was damaged as a result of the accident (any person who was witness to a boating accident is also required to provide their name and address to the operator(s), passenger(s) and any injured person(s).
The operator (or owner) of a boat must file a written accident report with the Oregon State Marine Board if any of the following occur as a result of the accident:
- A person dies or disappears from the boat (report within 48 hours).
- A person required medical treatment (report within 48 hours).
- Damage to property as a result of the accident totals more than $2,000 (report within 10 days).
If an operator is unable/physically incapable of submitting an accident report, the passengers are then required to do so.
State-Approved Accident Report Form:
See link for state approved boating accident report form: http://www.oregon.gov/osmb/safety/docs/boatingacc.pdf