Boat Accident Requirements
The operator of a boat involved in a boating accident is required to:
- Stop their boat at the scene.
- Render assistance to any person who has been injured or who is in danger so long as they can do so without risking their safety or their passenger’s safety.
- Provide their name, address and boat information in writing to any person who was injured, and to the owner of any property that was damaged as a result of the accident.
Operators involved in an accident which resulted in a death, or the disappearance of a person from a boat are required to notify the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC) by the quickest means possible and provide:
- The date, time and exact location of the accident.
- The number and name of the boat.
- The name(s) of any one who died or disappeared as a result of the accident.
- The name(s) and address(es) of the boat owner and/or operator.
If the boat operator is not able to immediately notify the NCWRC of the incident, all passengers who were on board the boat will be required to notify the NCWRC, unless they are positive that a person has already given notice.
For more information on accident reporting, visit https://www.ncwildlife.org/