Operators involved in a boat accident are required to:
- Stop their vessel immediately at the scene of the accident.
- Render assistance to any person who has been injured or who is in danger so long as they can do so without risking their safety or their passenger’s safety.
- Give, in writing, his or her name, address, and vessel identification to the owner of any property damaged by the accident
Boat Accident Reports
The operator or owner of a vessel involved in an accident must notify immediately, by the quickest means possible, the sheriff of the county in which the accident took place if any of the following occur:
- A person dies or disappears or…
- A person is injured or…
- Damage to the vessel or other property exceeds $1,500.
Written boat accident reports must be filed:
- Within 48 hours in cases involving death, disappearance, or injury or…
- Within 10 days for accidents involving only property damage
Boating accident report forms can be found at any county sheriff’s office or by calling the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation at 208-334-4199.START NOW