An operator involved in a boating accident is required to:
- Stop their boat at the scene.
- Render assistance to any person who has been injured or who is in danger so long as they can do so without risking their safety or their passenger’s safety.
- Provide their name, address and boat information in writing to any person who was injured, and to the owner of any property that was damaged as a result of the accident.
The following types of accidents must be reported to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Division by the quickest means possible, if any of the following occur as a result of the accident:
- A person is killed or disappears from the boat.
- A person is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid.
- Damage to property as a result of the accident totals more than $2,000.
Note: Boating accident reports are confidential and are inadmissible in court as evidence.