Boat operators who are involved in a collision or boat accident are required to:
- Stop their boat at the scene.
- Render assistance to any person who has been injured or who is in danger so long as they can do so without risking their safety or their passenger’s safety.
- Provide their name, address and boat information in writing, to any person who was injured, and to the owner of any property that was damaged as a result of the accident.
An official Boat Accident Report Form must be filed when:
- A person is killed or lost (within 24 hours).
- A person is injured and required medical attention beyond first aid (within 5 days).
- There is damage to property totaling more than $500 or there is complete loss of the boat (within 5 days).
The operator must file a full report on an official form. If the operator is incapacitated, an officer shall file the form.
State-approved Boat Accident Report Form
- Download the form here: http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/forms
- Contact a Watercraft Field Office
- Or call 1-877-4BOATER (Ohio Only)
Send the completed form to:
Recreational Boating Accident Program Manager
2045 Morse Road
Columbus, Ohio 43229
Violation Resulting in Injury or Damage is Evidence of Negligence
Violations of watercraft law that result in injury to person or damage to property shall constitute prima-facie evidence of negligence in a civil action.START NOW