A boat operator involved in a boating accident is required to:
- Stop their boat at the scene.
- Render assistance to any person who has been injured or who is in danger so long as they can do so without risking their safety or their passenger’s safety.
- Provide their name, address and boat information in writing, to any person who was injured and to the owner of any property that was damaged as a result of the accident.
Boat Accident Reports
If any of the following occur as a result of a boat accident, the PFBC must be immediately notified, followed by a written accident report within 48 hours:
- If a person has been injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid.
- If a person has disappeared from the boat.
- If a person has been killed.
If property damage has occurred in excess of $2,000, or if there is complete loss of a boat, an accident report must be submitted to the PFBC within 10 days of the accident.
Boating Accident Report Forms are available on the Commission’s website. Reports must be sent to:
PA Fish & Boat Commission, Bureau of Law Enforcement
P.O. Box 67000
Harrisburg, PA 17106-7000
Download a Pennsylvania Boat Accident Report form here: