A boat operator involved in a boat accident is required to:
- Stop their boat at the scene.
- Render assistance to any person who has been injured or who is in danger so long as they can do so without risking their safety or their passenger’s safety.
- Provide their name, address and boat information in writing to any person who was injured, and to the owner of any property that was damaged as a result of the accident.
Boat Accident Reporting
A written boat accident report must be submitted to the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources if any of the following occur as a result of the accident:
- A person is killed.
- A person disappears from the boat indicating death or injury.
- A person is injured and requires medical attention and/or they are incapacitated for 24 hours or longer.
- Damage to property as a result of the accident totals more than $500.
Accidents involving death or injury must be reported within 48 hours, whereas other reportable accidents must have an accident report submitted within 5 days.
If the operator is not capable of filing the report and is not the owner of the boat, then the owner shall be required to fill out a boating accident report.