As boaters, we have the incredible opportunity to explore waterways around the world with friends and family. During this amazing time on the water we can truly relax and feel free. That being said, part of boating is about being cognisant of our ecological footprint and reducing our impact where we can. It’s our responsibility to keep our waterways clean and safe so that future generations will have the same opportunities we do. This Earth Day, BOATsmart! wants you to get out on the water with friends and family and stay green. Check out the eco-friendly boating tips below and share this article with a fellow Captain you know on Facebook to show them you’re an environmentally friendly boater!
The Boat Motor
1. Fuel your tank slowly and do not top up
2. Fuel away from the water when possible
3. Fuel your motor with biodiesel (if your motor allows)
4. Use an electric trolling motor when possible.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
5. Recycle engine oils, filters, and other liquids properly (your marina will usually have a recycling program set up!)
6. Use reusable water bottles, snack and lunch containers – they’re great for outings on the boat
7. Never throw trash into the water; always bring garbage home and dispose of it responsibly
Cleaning the Boat
8. Wax your boat every spring (reduces the need for detergents when washing your boat)
9. Use non-toxic cleaners for the boat & trailer (baking soda and water works great!)
10. Wash equipment away from the water when possible (a sponge and fresh water are preferred)
Use these 10 Eco-Friendly Boating Tips each time you go out and pass them on to other boaters you meet to really make a difference! Happy Earth day from BOATsmart!, and thanks for keeping it green